On a quest to recreate a pantry staple in my house, I discovered that just 4 ingredients is all it takes to make No-Chicken Bouillon.
Chicken-free bouillon is good on everything. It adds that salty something to soups, sauces, pasta, and casseroles. The mystery ingredient is most likely sitting in your grocery store but you’ve never heard of it. It’s Nutritional Yeast! Here’s a great, quick explanation of what that is. You can find it in the health food aisle.
I make it in two different forms. Powdered form is the easiest. You just combine the ingredients in an airtight container and sprinkle onto whatever you’re making.
Cubes are created with the addition of oil and some shaping. I store them in the freezer so that they hold their shape. The cubes are great to have on hand to quickly pop into dishes. Plus they’re cuter. If that’s important to you.
These might be stronger in flavor than some store-bought varieties so keep that in mind when adding them to your meals.
How it’s Done:
- 3/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 cup Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Add 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Combine all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in a dark place like a pantry.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, food chopper, or mix thoroughly by hand until mixture starts to clump together.
- Press into a small container lined with plastic wrap until very well compacted.
- Freeze several hours or overnight before cutting into small cubes.
- Store cubes in freezer to hold their shape.
- These might be stronger in flavor than some store-bought varieties so keep that in mind when adding them to your meals.