This super cool trick will save you from a flour-covered kitchen this Valentine’s Day. No rolling pins, no cookie cutters, just lovely little heart shaped cookies for your bunny-boo-snuggle-pup.
If you aren’t already freezing your cookie dough into logs before baking, you must try it! Here’s why..
1. The cold butter in frozen cookie dough takes longer to melt leaving you with thicker, chewier cookies.
2. Cutting your cookie dough from logs instead of blopping it onto a sheet pan is not only less messy but the cookies are perfectly round. Or in this case, perfectly heart shaped.
3. You can make giant batches to store in the freezer; just cut off a few pieces when you want them. Perfect for those long winter nights watching The Bachelor where a single melty, freshly-baked cookie (or two or three or four) is a necessity.
I also made FOOTBALL SHAPED COOKIES with an amazing recipe for Brownie-Cookies, which is a cookie that tastes like a brownie!
Let’s Do It!
You can use just about any type of cookie dough for these but my guy prefers classic chocolate chip. If you go that route, I recommend using mini-chocolate chips for easier cutting. Slicing through a frozen chocolate chip is no joke. I kid of course, you’ve got the biceps for that.
- Prepared Cookie Dough
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper and scoop cookie dough onto it in a log shape. The dough should be about 2-3" wide and 2-3" high. Leave about 4" empty on each end.
- Roll the dough up into a log, then shape the log so that the sides are triangular instead of rounded.
- Take the back end of a knife and run it down the middle of one of the triangles sides to make the groove for the heart's top.
- Using your hands shape the two rounded tops.
- Put the logs onto a cookie sheet and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Once completely frozen, unwrap, cut into 3/4" pieces, and bake according to recipe instructions.
- I recommend using mini chocolate chips (if using) because they won't be giant roadblocks when you're trying to cut your dough into slices.
- You can use this method to create other shapes too!