Chia seeds are the it food right now, alongside quinoa and kale. If you aren’t familiar with them, they are the same chia seeds that grow Chia Willy Robertsons. Here’s a nice article on why everyone is eating them. So hop on the bandwagon, ya’ll.
The most common way to use them is in smoothies, drinks, and yogurts because they are highly absorbent and soak up the liquid which ends up making odd semi-liquid concoctions. I’m not totally into that… So I mostly prefer to eat mine in dry situations like on toast!
You can find them fairly inexpensively in most grocery stores these days, they should be hangin’ in the health food.
There is no candle in the world that smells better than toasted coconut in the oven.
- 1 Tablespoon Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 1 piece Multi Grain Bread or Gluten-Free Alternative
- 1 Tablespoon Butter Or Vegan-Alternative
- 1 teaspoon Chia Seeds
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Spread out the coconut on a baking sheet and pop it under the broiler for 4-5 minutes, tossing once. This works best when you do a large amount of coconut to store for later. If you are only toasting 1-2 tablespoons at a time, watch very closely so that it doesn’t burn. For small batches you may need to only toast for 2-3 minutes.
- While the coconut is browning, toast and butter your bread as desired.
- Top the toast with coconut and chia seeds and grate fresh nutmeg on top.
- Serve immediately, with tea or coffee.